Friday, February 16, 2007

Labels

Speaking of "tolerence"...

Preference.

pre·fer /prɪˈfɜr/ [pri-fur] –verb (used with object), -ferred, -fer·ring.
1. to set or hold before or above other persons or things in estimation; like better; choose rather than: to prefer beef to chicken.

I hear this term used to describe homosexuals. It is erroneous. Kevin uses it.

To prefer implies choice. I do not "choose" to be homosexual.

I do not "prefer" males sexually, over females. I am homosexual, it is my inherent sexual orientation.

Alternative Lifestyle.

I am not living an "alternative lifestyle". I am living my life. Incidentally, I am homosexual.

Faggot, dyke.

OVERVIEW: According to the just-released results of GLSEN’s National School Climate Survey, 84.3 percent of the 904 LGBT youth surveyed reported hearing homophobic remarks, such as "faggot" or "dyke," frequently or often. It seems that for quite a long time, "faggot" has been the slur of choice for people wishing to insult or harass gay men, men they perceive to be gay, or men they simply wish to humiliate regardless of their targets’ sexual orientation. Similarly, "dyke" has been used to target lesbian women, women perceived to be lesbian, or, in a common scenario, women refusing, for whatever reason, the sexual advances of men. There are many theories about the origin of these words, and how they came to be used as anti-LGBT slurs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(epithet)

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Faggot_(epithet)

No comments: